Friday, August 5, 2011

The truth is....

I grew up in Poland. And constantly witnessed friend's baby siblings nursing. It was normal. Although I must admit there was still a time before I had my own kids that I did found it a little weird and sometimes mildly uncomfortable. I have since gotten used to women breastfeeding, even in public, even at the dinner table :) So having grown up this way I knew that is something we are just supposed to do. That's how babies eat.
I must admit it was not at all easy to breastfeed in the beginning. My boobs were way too huge and full of milk and I had such a hard time getting Nolan to latch on. I felt like I was failing and both of us spent our fist few days together crying in frustration. But I stuck with it and I learned. The second time was a breeze.
The truth is breast milk is the best milk for our babies. The truth is that it's hard to breastfeed especially in the beginning. The truth is many women give up because they don't have the proper support or feel that it's weird. The truth is there is a law that gives women and babies the right to breastfeed in public. The truth is it shouldn't be weird. And the truth is, it's up to us to normalize it.

So in light of World Breastfeeding Week let's shine some light on feeding our babies.
The goal of this little contest is for you and me to share with our friends the truths we know about breastfeeding and to encourage and educate :)

To participate post a photo of you nursing your little ones on the facebook wall and have your friends like the photo on the wall (make sure they like the one on the MCP wall and not in your news feed)Who ever has the most likes by Sunday will win a $20 Starbucks Gift Card.

Now this is not about who has the cutest nursing photo, this is about reaching out to the hundreds of friends we have on facebook and letting them know that breastfeeding is quite normal and that in fact its kind of great and not something to be ashamed of :)

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=cb3870dcc78225cf4f342b46e&id=b918359533

No comments:

Post a Comment